Tuesday 7 September 2010

How the adventure began

September 2010
We have just dropped off two girls at two different universities and I am wondering what the next five years will be like with an only child at home. I grew up in a house full of girls and now I find myself in a house of boys, including an always-hungry teenager who is probably left to his own devices (and glowing screens) too often.
On Monday, after we dropped off Adrienne, the three of us went for a hike in the Niagara Gorge. I wanted to send a signal to Ben that as a family of three we would do things together, that we would be active, and that we would enjoy the outdoors.
Some time later, and I'm not exactly sure how or when, I thought that hiking the Bruce Trail would accomplish these goals. Without checking to see exactly what was involved -- such as, how long is the trail anyway? -- I proposed to Dean and Ben that we hike the Bruce Trail before Ben finishes high school. That means we have five years. They agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment